Saturday, March 20, 2010

3/11/10 - Stonybrook, Manned Missiles, Savage and the Big Beat, Native Lights

...at RGRS, as part of the NX35 shindig.

Native Lights (Tulsa) opened up. Ya, sure, some pretty decent psychedelic pop. Whatevs.
Next up was Savage and the Big Beat (Denton). A very nice surprise. Only two dudes - one on Casio keyboard and one on drums. Quite charming, funny, and entertaining. Hey, there's only so much you can do with a casio keyboard and drum kit, but these guys made the most of it, with some very catchy & funny tunes. Definitely very childlike - songs about polar bears, dinosaurs, etc. Put a smile on my face, i can tell you that. Very much enjoyed it.
Next up was Manned Missiles (Denton). Yea, i dono - didn't hear anything overly compelling here, some pretty decent groovy pop, but that's about it. Need to further evaluate, methinks...
Sunnybrook was up next. Hmmm. Lotsa pub for this dude, but I don't really get it. At least this night, it was only the one guy, dressed in angel outfit and sunglasses. Lotsa effects, layers, instruments, and what-not, and interesting at first, but after a while, it seemed like his sole intention was to put me to sleep. Just not my thing, I guess.
Very sad to say - I was so dog-tired half-way thru the SB set, I just couldn't bring myself to hang around long enough to hear the Evangelicals - the entire reason i'd showed up on a thursday night. So I split. Regretted it the next day, but there you go...

No comments: